Writing For Children Course In Australia | The Writing Quarter
This online writing for children course is designed for adult writers, who dream of penning stories for children and/or young adults. Writing for children is a unique and rewarding experience. This course will teach the specific aspects of writing for a younger audience, as well as the fundamentals of storytelling.
You may be brand new to creative writing, or maybe you wish to try writing something completely different. Either way, each module of this six-week course is accompanied by writing assignments and constructive feedback. Your tutor will support and guide you through the course.
By the end of the six weeks, you will understand how to create compelling characters, engage various age ranges, drive a thrilling plot and navigate the tricky children’s publishing market. Please note that this is a course for adults.
Start Date: 13th September 2022 – 2 places remaining
Our courses are in huge demand and are filling up very quickly, so we recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
This online writing for children course is suitable for adults who would like to write books for children or young adults.
You will be given weekly notes and assignments to help you. Your tutor will read every assignment and will provide written feedback.
Students will receive an email booking confirmation within 48 hours of payment. If you do not see this email, please check your Spam/Junk folder.
Outline of our Writing For Children Course
Module One: Planning Your Story
Week one of the online writing for children course will focus on ideas, observation and how to use them.
• Story Elements: Creating Characters. Who your story happens to, and how to make your reader care.
Module Two: Setting a Routine
For module two, we will look into setting a time and place to write. We will also begin to understand how to develop good writing habits.
• Story Elements: Creating a Location or Setting. The environment of your story and how it affects it.
Module Three: Writing and Re-Writing
In week three of the writing course, we will explore language as a tool and how to apply it for specific effects.
• Story Elements: Establishing a Problem – the Key to a Plot. The challenge your characters have to face, how they face it, how it builds to a climax, and how it changes them.
Module Four: Getting Published
Module four will teach students how to pitch, how not to pitch and how to learn all about the writing business.
• Story Elements: Atmosphere, Pace. How to evoke and vary the emotions in each scene, how to pace the action, and control its effect on the overall story.
Module Five: Editing and Production
Week five is all about swallowing your pride, choosing your battles, making an ally of your editor and being prepared to be ruthless with your words.
• Story Elements: Language – Narrative, Description and Dialogue. Your voice and that of your characters and making the reader believe in them.
Module Six: Promotion and the Writing Business
The final module of this online course will discuss making a living as a writer. You will decide what you’re willing to do, and what you’re not.
• Story Elements: World-Building and Adaptable Concepts. Looking beyond your story, at what other forms it might take.
“I thought the writing for children course was fantastic. It was structured well and the exercises were interesting and challenging. I feel I really got a lot out of the feedback and the hints and tips were extremely helpful, and I’m putting some into practice as we speak!” – Nigel
To find out more about how our writing for children course in Australia works, visit our FAQ page.
You can also email us at [email protected]
Please view our cancellation/refund policy before booking.