The Writing Quarter Competition
The Writing Quarter runs a monthly free to enter short story competition. This is an ongoing monthly competition with the deadline being the last day of each month.
We’re looking for short stories of 1,000-3,000 words (open theme). The prize is $30.
As we receive a lot of emails, please do not email us with any questions about our competition. All rules are listed and you’ll find the answers to your questions below.
- This competition is open to all writers aged 18 or over regardless of their nationality or country of residence.
- Entrants should submit no more than one entry per month.
- Open theme. Submit 1,000-3,000 words.
- Free to enter.
- This is an ongoing monthly competition with a deadline on the last date of every month.
- Writers may submit their entry to [email protected]
- Please include the word count on the first page and in your email to us. Otherwise, we cannot respond to your entry. Submit your entry in one of the following formats: Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and OpenOffice/NeoOffice (.odt).
- Your entry should be double-spaced. Regarding fonts, we prefer Courier or Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Your story must not have been previously published and must not have won a monetary prize in any other writing competition. All submissions should be the writer’s original work.
- We will select one winner every month. The winner will receive $30. The prize money will be sent through PayPal.
- We will notify the winner by the 30th day of the following month. The results will be published on our website by the 30th of the following month. While we appreciate all competition entries, only the winning and shortlisted entrants will be contacted. We reserve the right not to award any prize if we are dissatisfied with the standard of entries.
- Authors retain all rights to their work.
- The winning author will be given the option to publish their story on our website.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence can be entered into.